Eco Cement

Eco Cement

Paving the Way to Sustainable Construction

In the construction industry, cement has long been a fundamental building block, yet its historic association with high carbon emissions is impossible to ignore. With the UK’s target of Net Zero emissions by 2050, the construction industry has embarked on a journey of transformation in a bid to drastically reduce the carbon footprint of cement production.

In recent years, eco-cement, often referred to as green concrete, has emerged as a promising and important innovation, offering hope for a more sustainable future in construction. Custom Concrete has now adopted the use of eco-cement (CEM II) and has successfully incorporated it into the sales cycle.

How Does Eco-Cement Differ From Traditional Cement?

Traditional cement production involves subjecting a mix of silica materials and raw limestone to scorching temperatures of 1,400º Celsius within a kiln. This thermal process results in the creation of clinker, a critical ingredient in cement. Gypsum is then blended with the clinker to form the final cement product. However, this conventional cement-making process comes with a significant environmental cost.

During the production of clinker, the process emits toxic gases, contributing to the release of 0.6 to 1 ton of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere for every metric ton of cement produced. Such emissions have long been a major concern in the construction industry’s battle against carbon footprint.

In stark contrast, eco-cement, specifically CEM-II products, employs a fundamentally different approach. Instead of using raw limestone, burnt limestone is a key component, substantially reducing carbon dioxide emissions. CEM-II stands out for its composition, consisting of 65% cement, with the remaining 35% composed of slag, fly ash, limestone, and various other eco-friendly ingredients.

This shift in manufacturing not only addresses the issue of carbon emissions but also offers a sustainable path towards more environmentally responsible construction practices.

Benefits of Eco-Cement for Custom Concrete Customers

Water is the most consumed resource globally, with concrete closely following suit. Eco-cement plays a crucial role in mitigating the environmental impact of the construction industry. By reducing the carbon emissions associated with its production, it significantly lessens the industry’s overall carbon footprint. Custom Concrete customers are, therefore, actively contributing to the fight against global warming and the reduction of their industry’s carbon footprint.

Is CEM-II Eco Cement Equivalent in Strength?

Understandably, one of the primary concerns for our customers is the comparative quality of these two cement products. Industry testing has established that CEM-II meets the normal minimum strength requirements.

Extensive trials conducted by our supplier have unequivocally demonstrated that CEM-II matches the quality of CEM-I. Our own Custom Concrete team has also undertaken rigorous testing, with results that have exceeded our expectations.

We are delighted to announce that our trials have shown that eco-cement not only meets but often surpasses the performance of our current cement, ensuring the same level of strength and reliability for your concrete projects.

About Working with Custom Cement

Custom Cement is a trusted provider of on-site mixed concrete services across Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, and Hertfordshire. Our Custom Concrete Calculator allows customers to order the exact volume of concrete required for their project, leading to the eradication of waste.

The Custom Concrete team deliver volumetric concrete, which is freshly mixed, on site, precisely when and where it is needed, to ensure maximum convenience and efficiency. We supply to residential, DIY or construction sites, and there’s no surcharge added for a half load.

Custom Cement is your partner in sustainable, cost-effective, and high-quality concrete solutions. To order green concrete, give us a call today on 01525 861899.

Scroll to Top